Two weeks to go, Election Day is on the horizon.
While the LNP continues to run a negative campaign, this week Bill Shorten and Labor announced a range of positive policies as part of our plan for a Fair Go for All Australians.
We announced our plans for the child care industry, including massive cost of living relief for nearly one million families struggling with the costs.
It's not just families that will benefit, it is also child care workers. Labor will fund pay increases of 20 per cent to early childhood educators over 8 years – supporting workers and delivering professional pay.
We will invest $2.4 billion in a Pensioner Dental Plan – giving up to three million older Australians access to free dental care.
Under Labor’s Pensioner Dental Plan, age pensioners and Commonwealth Seniors Health Card holders will be eligible for $1,000 worth of dental services every two years.
This is a health boost and a cost of living boost for up to three million older Australians. And it’s the next step towards Labor’s vision of universal access to dental care in Australia.
Today I joined our local Labor MPs to commit $50 million for safety upgrades to Picton Road
This takes Labor’s transport commitments for the Illawarra and South Coast to $305 million:
- Maldon Dumbarton: $50 million
- Princes Highway: $150 million
- Appin Rd: $55 million
- Picton Rd: $50 million
We're committed to safer, smarter solutions for transport.
It was a pleasure to stand alongside hundreds of people in Wollongong today to support workers with a disability.
It took a Labor Government to build the NDIS, and it will take a Labor Government to get it back on track. Labor will work with you to make the scheme better and deliver on the promise of the NDIS.
- Ensure that the NDIS puts people with a disability first and we will fix the plan process so people with a disability have more choice and more control. Ensure the NDIS works for everyone – children, young people, all communities, Indigenous Australians, LGBTQI community
- Set up a $1.6 billion future fund to ensure the long term financial future of the NDIS
- Build a skilled disability workforce strategy, we will invest in disability workforce training. We lift the staffing cap within the NDIA.
- Ensure the Royal Commission leads to real change
The Illawarra was once a nursery for live music talent producing amazing performers with dozens of venues. It’s fallen away over recent years due to inaction, but there is a demand for venues to practice and perform.
That's why I've committed $100,000 to establish a music hub in Shellharbour to provide a place for young musicians to learn, rehearse and practice the art of live performance.
Developing a live music culture in a community like ours also makes good economic sense.
Vibrant communities need places where people can come together watch, perform and enjoy themselves.
And finally, a big shout out to the volunteers who have given up their time to support Labor at the local early voting centres!